South-facing, between basalt mounds and alluvial valleys, the Hérault Méditerranée “terroir” is primarily winegrowing. The vines that cover the surrounding countryside produce very aromatic wines, spread over 3 Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée (AOC) (registered designation of origin) and 5 Indications Géographiques Protégées (IGP) (protected geographical indication) labels. On the markets or directly from the producers, by following the “Route des Vignerons et des Pêcheurs” and the wine route tourist map, discover these wines that pleasantly accompany our local produce.
Wines with rich character
Depending on the grape varieties, the wines will suit all your tastes:
· Le Picpoul de Pinet : white wine with aromas of acacia flowers and hawthorn. To be savoured with fish or seafood.
· La Clairette du Languedoc and la Clairette d'Adissan : dry or sweet white wine. To be savoured during the aperitif, with foie gras or cheese.
· Les Coteaux du Languedoc. Red wines. To accompany meat, poultry and cheese. Often served in the best French and International restaurants, the Coteaux du Languedoc represent the excellence of the Hérault wine industry.
· Les Vins de Pays (table wine), including tasty rosé wines. To discover accompanied by grilled meat or a picnic. Be tempted by the vin du pays d’Oc (Oc table wine) !
· Les vendanges surmûries (overripe grapes). These wines enhance the sweet, savoury flavours of the famous “petits pâtés de Pézenas” (small mutton pies), the sweet onion confit from Lézignan-la-Cèbe and the roasted fig flowers of Nézignan.
Wine tasting stays, taste the local Hérault wines
The wines from the Agde area are meant to be shared, providing intense sensorial discoveries. Choose your formula!
• Wine grower walks in the mornings - walking trails, accessible to all, from April to October, every week from mid June to mid September.
• Afternoons to discover a wine cooperative followed by wine tasting.
• The traditional “vin nouveau” (new wine) festival, held in October every year in the heart of the town of Agde.
• Sale, tasting, and in summer, introduction to wine tasting in the Caves Richemer.
Vinocap, taste all the wines from the South: the not-to-be-missed event!
The Cap d’Agde welcomes Vinocap: the largest open-air wine tourism exhibition in the South of France, offering around a hundred producers-exhibitors, mainly from the 19 towns in the Hérault Méditerranée territory and the most prestigious winegrowers in Languedoc-Roussillon.
On the agenda: discover local Hérault products - 3 days including events around the universe of wine, introductions to wine tasting with a “sommelier” (wine expert), exhibitions, stands…
“De vins en découvertes. Cap d’Agde – Pézenas” (From wines to discoveries)
This is an invitation to discover the vineyards, cellars and winegrowing domains, and, of course, wines! All the addresses and production of the 85 domains and cooperatives, whose cellars are open to the public, are indicated on the wine tourist map in the Hérault Méditerranée territory, free of charge in the tourist offices.
In addition, you will find multimedia areas at the Bulle d’accueil (Cap d’Agde) and the Ilot Molière (Agde) for information to help you make your choice before going off to discover the excellent wines and vineyards!
Reminder: Excessive drinking of alcohol is dangerous for your health. Please drink responsibly.
Did you know?The Hérault Méditerranée territory produces more than 9 million bottles per year. The Languedoc Roussillon is the largest production area in the world, covering 290,000 hectares!
Do you want a personalised wine tasting stay? Contact the Tourisme Attitude agency :
99b, quai Téophile Cornu